Birthdays. Christmas. The holidays. With so many special times of the year to celebrate, it’s no wonder we often get stuck for gift inspiration? But if you know someone who is fond of fudge or keen to take up a new hobby, then we have your next gift all wrapped up with this thoughtful fudge making kit (suitable for children and adults alike).
Looking for the perfect homemade hamper? Why not create your own fudge making kit. Here we will show what items to include to make a traditional fudge or chocolate fudge recipe, including important ingredients, essential equipment and informative instruction cards.
Whether you have a friend who is keen to cultivate their culinary skills, a family member who loves to home bake or a secret Santa screaming out for a gift that isn’t socks, then our fudge making kits and bound to inspire.
This step by step is designed to show you how to create your own fudge making kits, so read on to find out more.
Make your own fudge at home
Nothing beats the taste of tucking into home baked goodies. But thanks to our fudge making kits, you don’t need to gift this hamper to a baking connoisseur in order for them to produce the perfect piece.
This simple fudge making kit combines everything your friends and loved ones need in order to succeed in the kitchen. Really you could consider it a gift for you both, especially if they share their creations with you.
A fudge kit helps simplify the fudge making process. Though they’ll still need a sprinkle of patience and a good eye for reading thermometers.
In this guide we’ll be taking you through a traditional fudge making kit – you can’t go wrong with creamy homemade fudge and a classic chocolate fudge kit.
You can easily purchase these ingredients conveniently through Amazon or in your local grocery stores.
What you will need to make traditional fudge
For those that prefer classic fudge, then this delicious fudge is inspired by Cornwall and Scotland. This traditional fudge tastes creamy and sweet and has a soft chewy texture.
You should include this recipe card in the fudge making kit. You can print this recipe card by clicking on the printer icon.
Equipment and tools for making traditional fudge
(see Amazon equipment and tool prices via links)Print
- In a large saucepan sift the golden caster sugar through, removing any lumps of sugar.
- Pour in the condensed milk, whole milk, unsalted butter and whiskey and mix, making sure that the ingredients don’t splash or skim the side walls of the saucepan.
- Top tip: If the ingredients do happen to have touched the sides, use the silicone pastry brush to brush the sides down.
- Place the saucepan onto a medium heat on top of your stove and begin your boiling process. Mix the ingredients only until the sugar has melted (the mixture should be smooth, not grainy). STOP stirring when you notice that the sugar has fully dissolved.
- After 10 minutes, you should see some bubbling on the traditional fudge mixture surface. Place your candy thermometer into the center “well” of the mixture and check to see if the fudge has reached the “soft ball” stage.
- The fudge mixture should read 234 and 237 °F/ 112 and 114 °C on the candy thermometer, although this may take 15- 20 minutes. You should keep a steady eye on the fudge.
- When it has reached the optimum temperature of 234 and 237 °F/ 112 and 114 °C, take the saucepan off the heat and place onto a heatproof surface.
- Having kept the candy thermometer in the fudge mixture, allow it to cool down to 109 to 113 °F/ 43 to 45 °C .
- When it has reached this cooler temperature you can start to beat the fudge through, stirring and adding in the natural flavour of your choice (we recommend vanilla extract).
- Be aware! This fudge mixture is still skin burning hot. Making fudge should be fun, but safety much always come first!
- Beat the fudge until the mixture thickens up and the shiny gloss becomes matte, read this ‘Why is my fudge shiny‘.
- Once the fudge mixture has gone from a golden brown colour to a lighter brown shade, the mixture should be thick, yet smooth and creamy. You can now pour this into your prepared baking tray.
- Let the fudge cool and set at room temperature for at least 3-4 hours.
- Slice and serve.
What you will need to make easy chocolate fudge
For those who prefer delicious, decadent classics why not let them fill their boots with this rich chocolate fudge recipe which can be easily made in the microwave.
Include this recipe card in the fudge making kit. You can print this recipe card by clicking on the printer icon.
Equipment and tools for making easy chocolate fudge
(see Amazon equipment and tool prices via links)Print
- Start off by preparing the powdered sugar by sifting it through the fine mesh sieve in a bowl in order to remove and discard any lumps for a smooth fudge.
- In the large mixing bowl, put in the semi-sweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and heat the chocolate fudge mixture at 40 second blasts on high. Cooking the fudge in short periods prevents any chocolate from catching and getting burned. Burnt chocolate tastes rancid so look out for any burnt bits just incase!
- Stir this mixture occasionally, when the chocolate chips start to melt.
- Once all of the ingredients have melted, you will start to see the fudge mixture thicken and slide off your spatula without sticking.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, making sure it has dissolved in the fudge mixture evenly.
- Pour the fudge mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth and press the mixture into the baking tray evenly with the spatula.
- Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Cut into even squares and serve.
What items should I include in a fudge making kit?
For these fudge making recipes, we recommend these items to be included in your homemade fudge making kits.
Fudge making equipment can get expensive, so to receive some essential fudge making equipment as a gift is thoughtful.
What comes in a fudge kit?
A fudge kit generally contains the fudge making ingredients and some of the basic tools and equipment used in making fudge.
Is Carnation Famous Fudge Kit gluten free?
The ingredients in the Carnation Famous Fudge Kit should be suitable for those who suffer with a gluten allergy. Most chocolate and milk do not contain gluten however, there maybe traces of gluten. Always check the nutritional label before consumption.
Can I use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk for fudge?
You cannot use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk for fudge making because they both hold different water contents. Furthermore, condensed milk has a higher percentage of sugar which is added to the product. This would change the taste and setting of the fudge if used instead of evaporated milk.
So that’s your Christmases and birthday present giving covered until everyone is fudged out.
Of course these fudge making kits are designed to inspire you as well as those receiving the present. So to get your creative side flowing why not customize these kits with fancy flavors or decorations?
Fudge making kits are fun and ideal for someone who is tricky to buy for. Pop everything in a basket or hamper and look forward to so seeing their delightful reaction.
If you thought this guide was useful, have a read of these: