It’s quite common for someone to be following a recipe down to the letter, only to come across an instruction that informs them to use something they do not have. A double boiler is a very likely culprit of this problem.
Many of us have gone through a recipe and then found out that you need to use a double boiler and found yourself looking around for one.
The thing is, if you’re unfamiliar with a double boiler, you might not know what you should be looking for.
Luckily, we’ve written this handy guide that explains everything you need to know about the best double boilers.
We’ll look at the best ones on the market with their best qualities and some other helpful tips you should know.
Ready to learn more? Then read on!
What To Look For When Buying A Double Boiler
Below, we’ve written some of the things you should keep an eye out for when you’re purchasing your ideal double boiler.
Stainless steel is going to be your best option for a double boiler, but you also need to be aware that some stove tops aren’t always compatible with certain materials in terms of heat conduction.
The reason you should be aware of this though is primarily because of longevity.
Some double boilers are made with an aluminum core and, while there’s nothing too wrong with this, it can often burn holes at the bottom over an extended period of time.
It’s also worth keeping an eye on materials used for “stacking”. If some materials expand over time, you might find it becomes more difficult to stack your boiler pots.
Safety in the kitchen is always going to be paramount, so you should try to keep an eye on whether or not the handles are covered with something that prevents them from getting too hot.
Silicone is usually used to prevent heat making the handles unbearably warm, so you can go right into the movement of the pots, rather than having to use a towel or something similar.
You should also check if the lids and covers are made with tempered, clear glass. This allows you to not only keep an eye on your cooking, but it traps the heat inside – rather than the other way around.
Checking to see whether your double boiler needs a lot of maintenance or not is going to be quite important.
There’s nothing worse than paying for something, only to find out you’ll need to consistently be involved in upkeep.
To assess this, look at how easy the double boiler is to clean, what materials have been used and whether or not the pots are non-stick.
Of course, with any purchase you should keep your own personal budget in mind. Ask yourself how often you are going to use a double boiler and what size you are looking for generally etc.
If you plan to use it every holiday time for example, then it’s a good idea to spend a little more on a quality product.
However, if you use it only occasionally – then maybe you can get away with saving a few bucks by buying a cheaper model.
What Are The Best Double Boilers?
We’re going to kick off this guide by looking at some of the best double boilers on the market. But first of all, let us explain what a double boiler is.
A double boiler, also known as a bain-marie, is a kitchen tool used for gentle and indirect heating. It consists of two pots that fit together- the bottom pot holds boiling water while the top pot sits on top and contains the food or ingredients to be heated. The steam from the boiling water in the lower pot gently heats the contents of the upper pot without direct contact with the heat source.
Double boilers are commonly used for melting chocolate, and making fudge, custards or sauces that require low and slow cooking to avoid scorching or burning.
Where Can I Buy A Double Boiler?
Below you will find our top picks of double boilers that have been tried and tested, with some great qualities that are perfect for any budding cook!
1. Winware Stainless Steel Double Boiler With Cover
The first addition to our list is one of the best double boilers you can find out there right now – the Winware Stainless Steel.
Its heavy weight allows for excellent stability and sturdiness, which means you do not need to worry about accidentally knocking boiling water onto the stove.
It is made with highly durable commercial-grade stainless steel material, which gives it a long life, with an accompanying heavy gauge stainless steel cover.
As a result of this, you get to enjoy a product that has plenty of longevity and strength.
It has a 12-quart capacity, which is perfect for most home uses and indeed, some professional uses depending on your required size.
However, if you need more – there’s no need to worry, as this model comes in 8, 12, 16 and 20-quart options!
- Various sizes available
- Long life
- Durable and tough material
- It’s not 100% stainless steel as it contains an aluminum core
- Heavy weight stainless with encapsulated bottom
- Durable commercial grade
- Heavy gauge stainless steel cover
- 12 quart pot with double boiler insert
2. Pure Life Double Boiler
Pure Life has created this amazing double boiler set which prides itself on its excellent durability, versatility and strength.
This set is one of the easiest to clean that you will hope to find on the market today, and due to its clear lids, there is no need to panic about burned food residue!
It offers a fantastic distribution of heat to avoid any areas of your food getting overlooked, and the handles can help to stop you from being burned when you are checking on your food.
Due to their design, after you have finished cooking and you’ve cleaned your boiler, you can easily stack them up and put them away as easy as pie.
Oh, and don’t worry about the cleaning process – this set is dishwasher-safe!
- Dishwasher safe
- Excellent heat distribution
- Clear lids
- There is only one steaming basket included
- ★ HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL, LONG DURABILITY - THREE QUART ★ It is designed with the highest quality stainless steel and aluminum, which promotes long durability and fast cleaning. Our double boiler come with riveted ergonomic handles for comfort and strength. 3 KITCHEN TOOLS INCLUDED: Wisk, Tongs and Spatula
- ★ EVEN HEAT DISTRIBUTION ★ Our stackable cookware pieces have three millimeter aluminum encapsulated disk bottoms, covered with high-quality stainless steel, which provides the perfect heat distribution and protection system.
- ★ CLEAR VIEW WHILE COOKING, NO MORE BURNED FOOD ★ Our 3 Qts double boiler comes with a tempered glass lid, providing a clear view while cooking. It also comes with vent holes to help release excess moisture, keeping the lid CLEAR and CLEAN. Perfect for all your double boiling and steaming needs.
- ★ INDUCTION COMPATIBLE, EASY TO CLEAN AND DISHWASHER SAFE ★ Avoid inconveniences when preparing your food and feel like a real chef. This cookware is adaptable for all types of kitchen tops, including induction cooktops, electric, gas, ceramic, and halogen kitchens. Don't waste time washing, it's also dishwasher safe.
- ★ PERFECT FOR HOLIDAY SEASON | NO RISK 90-DAY RETURNS★ Every Purelife product is designed thinking of every household need, that’s why they are perfect for holiday season or any other special occasion. We built our brand on happy customers and we are sure that you’ll love our product too. So, we offer 90 day returns no questions asked and even a five-year limited warranty. Buy with confidence, we won’t let you down.
3. Cook N Home Silver Double Boiler
Cook N Home’s well designed double boiler is great for any budding cook. The sizes are ideal for almost any occasion, but particularly during the holidays.
Whilst this double boiler isn’t oven safe, it is induction compatible for gas, glass, electric, ceramic and so much more.
The handles are wrapped with silicone, so no more panicking about burning your hands when you’re moving the pots.
The tempered glass lid is clear, allowing you to not only keep a close eye on your ingredients, but enjoy hassle-free cleaning later on.
- Great design
- Easy to clean
- Silicone wrapped handles
- Not oven safe
- Made of polished 18-10 stainless steel with an aluminum disc layered in the bottom
- Stainless steel for durability aluminum core for even heat distribution
- Tempered glass lid with steam vent makes viewing food easy from start to finish
- Silicone wrapped handle for Comfort and stays cool; riveted handle for strength
- Induction compatible; works on: gas, electric, glass, ceramic, etc. ; Not oven safe
4. Update International Double Boiler With Cover
If you are hoping to buy a double boiler with the ability to make professional standard dishes at an affordable price, then this is the perfect option for you.
It’s NSF listed (an independent product testing organization) and it’s induction ready, so you know you’ve got an excellent choice here.
Not only this, but the boiler is high quality with some of the best heat distribution technology that any cookware does on the market today.
The ergonomic handles are large and built to provide easy transportation and avoid the cook from burning themselves when they really don’t need to!
The cover is included with the boiler and it’s clear, allowing you to keep a close eye on your ingredients and check on their progress!
- Excellent design
- NSF listed
- Amazing heat distribution
- It does not react well with some chemicals, so you need to check the manufacturer’s notes before you use/clean it
- Professional Quality Double Broiler - 8 qt capacity, induction ready & NSF listed
- Ergonomic Handles - Large ergonomic handles are securely riveted to safely lift and transport
- Superior Heat Distribution - Heavy duty 3-ply bottom for superior heat distribution
- Cover Included - Complete with cover and insert
5. De Buyer Double Boiler Bain-Marie
This double boiler is ideal for any budding chef that likes to make fudge, custards, sauces, scrambled eggs and chocolate desserts!
However, there’s lots of other uses for it, including simply keeping your food warm.
It’s really easy to use and understand with its simple instruction and water gauge, and it offers plenty of heat conduction.
Due to its design, it is rooted in French tradition and gives anyone the opportunity to make some of the best quality foods in the intended way.
- High quality
- Budget friendly
- Easy to use
- There are larger double boilers on the market
- DOUBLE BOILER BAIN-MARIE - Create a gentle, even heating source with the Double Boiler Bain-Marie. It’s perfect for making sauces, custards, and melting chocolate, as well as for scrambling eggs, reheating, defrosting, or keeping food warm.
- EASY TO USE - The stainless steel aluminum core base offers excellent heat conduction. It includes a built-in water gauge, easy-to-read measurements & pouring rim to create a hot water bath for cooking & heating delicate foods.
- ROOTED IN FRENCH CULINARY TRADITION - We design and manufacture premium kitchen accessories, pastry equipment, and cooking utensils, continuously innovating to meet the needs of catering professionals and home cooks alike.
Frequently Asked Questions About Double Boilers
Below you will find some of the most common questions when it comes to double boilers.
What Is A Double Boiler Best For?
Double boilers are ideal for a whole host of things, but they are best for things like fudge, sauces, custards, creams, chocolate and scrambled eggs.
Some double boilers can keep your food warm for a while and some double boilers are perfect for steaming things like vegetables.
You just need to keep an eye on what the double boiler offers you before you buy it!
Does The Brand Matter When Buying a Double Boiler?
The most reputable brands usually provide a much better quality product, but it’s not always the case.
Our picks showcase some of the best brands available on the market today and have been highly tried and tested.
Double boilers can be among the most useful pieces of cookware you could buy, but as they are not as common as other kitchen items, you may find it very difficult to get exactly what you need and are you’re looking for.
Hopefully, our guide has been useful for you and you have been able to find the perfect double boiler for you!
Eager to find fudge recipes you can use a double boiler with? Check out chocolate fudge recipes. Just melt the chocolate and condensed milk using the double boiler:
Last update on 2023-03-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API