Ingredients you will need for hot cross bun fudge
- 2 + 1/4 cups demerara sugar
- 1 + 1/4 cups double cream/ heavy cream
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 TSP Mixed spice
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (of your choice)
- Zest of half an orange
- 2 Hot cross buns (pulled into mini pieces)
Ingredients for the cross icing:
- 1/2 cup royal icing powder
- 2 TBSP Orange juice
- In the large saucepan, pour in your double cream, demerara sugar, butter and golden syrup.
- Place the pan on a low heat and start to stir the ingredients gently using your wooden spoon.
- After 5 minutes, or when your the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat to medium.Pro Tip: You’ll know when the sugar has dissolved when the sugar syrup on the back of the wooden spoon is silky smooth with no sugar crystals.
- Keep stirring the golden mixture until it starts to boil.
- You’ll notice that the mixture will start to expand and bubble rapidly. Stop stirring at this point. Let the fudge mixture boil for 5-10 minutes, during this time insert you candy thermometer.
- When the candy thermometer reads 234 and 237 °F/ 112 and 114 °C, remove it from the heat and place onto the heatproof mat.
- You’ll need to wait for the mixture to cool down for about 10 minutes or until the candy thermometer reads 109 to 113 °F/ 43 to 45 °C.
- Now you can add in the vanilla extract and beat the fudge with your wooden spoon, until it thickens up and starts to loose its luscious sheen. This may take 15-20 minutes.
- When the mixture is smooth and matte, add in the spices, dried fruit and zest. If you’ve also chosen to add in actual hot cross bun pieces too, now is the best time to add these in.
- Plop the fudge mixture into the lined baking tray, scape the pan with your silicone spatula and evenly spread the fudge. Let the fudge cool completely before placing it into the fridge to set further. You want the fudge to be nice and cold for when you come to pipe the cross on.
- Leave to set for 2/3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Once, it has set you can pull it out with the overhanging sides of parchment paper and place onto the cutting board.
- Take the sharp knife and cut into 1 inch squares. You should be able to get 36 pieces out of this recipe.
- Optional step, make icing for cross. Now, make up the royal icing. In a large bowl stir together the royal icing mix and orange juice together until a paste forms.
- Pop this icing into the piping bag and pipe a cross onto each individual fudge square.
- Let these set for another hour and you’re good to serve.
- Place them into an airtight container, as this help to keep your fudge fresh for up to 2-3 weeks.